Based in Utrecht, The Netherlands
April 8, 2013
Press / Business Contact:
3521 AL, Utrecht
+31 (6) 1269 1122
Vogelsap is a Dutch game development studio consisting of HKU University of the Arts and University of Utrecht students, all of whom were stubborn enough to start developing a full on 3D first person networked multiplayer game in their second year of school.
In early 2013, then second-year HKU University of the Arts Utrecht students Jeroen van Hasselt and Bo Zonneveld pitched their own game design for consideration as a school project. The school accepted the pitch, and development on The Flock could begin.The Flock
Starting out with six people and a small office at school, The Flock was in development during the three month school project. Afterwards, development continued during the summer vacation. In this time the game was playable at Gamescom in Cologne, VMGS in London and the INDIGO Showcase in Utrecht. In the new school year, the project was again pitched for a third year school project and was accepted. At the Dutch Game Awards, The Flock won ’Best Student Game’, and at Casual Connect the game was nominated for ’Most Promising Game’. During this period the team grew to twelve people, with a few then fourth year students and University of Utrecht students. Vogelsap was also granted a government subsidy from the Dutch Gamefonds and Creative Funds NL to further develop The Flock.
Vogelsap visits Dreamhack 2015 YouTube
There are far more images available for Vogelsap, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Two time INDIGO Showcase (Gamescom and Utrecht)" - The Flock, 2013
- "Virgin Media Game Space Showcase, London" - The Flock, 2013
- "Best Student Game winner, Dutch Game Awards" - The Flock, 2013
- "Best Tech winner, Global Game Jam NL" - The Revealing: Revealed (as Pyamabroek en de Rest), 2014
- "Most Promising Game nominee, Indie Prize Showcase (Casual Connect Europe)" - The Flock, 2014
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Selection, GDC 2015" - The Flock, 2015
- "For a student project, it shows a high level of technical, design, and visual maturity."
- Stephen Kleckner, VentureBeat
- "This is what I meant when I said that I'm looking for more ambition from independent developers outside of the puzzle platformers and roguelikes that have lately become somewhat cliche. The Flock not only looks great, it's technically ambitious, leveraging the Unity engine's capabilities to great effect. And all this from a group who originally submitted The Flock as a second-year school project."
- Kat Baily, USgamer
- "But it’s also extremely pick-up-able. As someone who feels genuine angst before joining in a multiplayer FPS, in case my ineptitude ruins it for everyone else, in case I do so embarrassingly badly that I’m pushed down in the playground after, something like The Flock has even greater appeal."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Laxative of the year."
- Alexa Ray Corriea, GameSpot
- "Ever wanted an asymmetrical online multiplayer game about being constantly freaked out? You absolutely need to try The Flock, which has a simple setup but horrifying results."
- Maxwell McGee, gamesradar+
- "I didn't really think horror and multiplayer could mix well, but I found that this title was able to retain the best of both genres."
- Alessandro Fillari, Destructoid
- "But since if even understand rules linguistic hurdles low gameplay is attractive."
- Okutani Kaito, 4gamer.net
- "Tension you do not know even the time is attacked has produced the there is no fun in any game you have experience up to now."
- Sunkubo, MoguraGames
- "This is one of the most nail-biting multiplayer games I’ve ever played."
- Geoff Thew, Hardcore Gamer
Vogelsap over de studio en The Flock
Dutch video item about Vogelsap and The Flock gamekings.tv.
Jeroen van Hasselt's Twitter
Personal account of Jeroen twitter.com.
Peter Dijkstra's Twitter
Personal account of Peter twitter.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Jeroen van Hasselt
Creative Director & Game Designer, Vogelsap
Environment Artist, Vogelsap
Visual Designer, Vogelsap
3D Artist & Project Manager, Vogelsap
Visual Designer, Vogelsap
Lead & Graphics Programmer, Vogelsap
Networking Programmer, Vogelsap
Audio & GUI Programmer, Vogelsap
Bram van de Brink
Gameplay Programmer, Vogelsap
Felix Morilla Pulmano Jr
Music Composer, Vogelsap